Walker’s Latest Appointee
Walker appointed Phil Montgomery to chair the Public Service Commission today. The PSC is responsible for regulating public utilities (including electricity, natural gas, and water, among others). PSC’s approval is typically required before utilities can set new rates, issue stocks or bonds, or undertake major construction projects (remember those state power plants Walker wants to sell in a no-bid process?). A few fun facts about Phil:
- ALEC considers Phil “a good friend.” He was even Treasurer of their Public Sector Board in 2010.
- He’s probably best known for a bill that eliminated local regulation of cable (and his friends at AT&T were thankful).
- Despite serving on the task force that made recommendations about a state global warming bill, he vehemently opposed it.
- Along with Mike Huebsch, he introduced a bill to end Wisconsin’s ban on new nuclear power plants.
- He’s an advocate of coal. Anything that’s cheap will get the job done for Phil.